Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Far From Here by Nicole Baart Book Review


Danica Greene learns that love is not constant, but there is hope amidst grief in Far from Here: A Novel by Nicole Baart.  Danica, who fears flying, marries a pilot, Etsell Greene.  Even being worlds apart in their interests, they build a comfortable life together.  As time goes on, they draw farther and farther apart, but are not aware of it.  Etsell takes a flying job in Alaska for 3 weeks and never returns.  Danica also finds out that another person is missing, a woman, who was also flying with Etsell.  This sets Danica in a whirlwind to find her husband and this woman.  Danica's world comes crashing down as she remembers her life with Etsell and also discovers a blinding surprise that she never fathomed.  Still, amidst the spiral of her new existence, Danica is offered a second chance to learn to love.

I was absolutely amazed with Nicole's writing.  It is brilliant!  She captures every scent, feeling and uses vivid descriptions.  I was entranced.  I was instantly drawn to the book because the story was both mysterious and longing.  However, I felt this book had highs and lows in the plot.  When Danica discovers her husband is missing and has not found him and returns home, she goes through a very rough time that turned out to be bit long and tedious.  But Nicole uses two points-of-view in alternating chapters with Danica's thoughts as first person and a third person perspective.  This kept the story going for me.  She also uses several flashbacks that made the story alive.  I would love to read more stories by Nicole!

*This product was provided to me free of charge for purpose of this review. This is my honest opinion of this book and no monetary compensation was received for my opinion.*

8 comments:

Margie said...

Your review makes me want to read this book! The search for her husband sounds fascinating. The Alaskan backdrop is interesting as well. Thanks for the giveaway.
mtakala1 AT yahoo DOT com

rubynreba said...

I believe in second chances and would like to read this.
pbclark(at)netins(dot)net

Linda Kish said...

This has a very interesting plot and I'd love to read the book.

lkish77123 at gmail dot com

Annette W. said...

You make this one sound good and dramatic.

Thissimplemom at gmail dot com

gail said...

interested in the author's writing style
gkuroda(at)gmail(dot)com

joy hannabass said...

And the other one I dont have....I'd love to read this one because it sounds like such a good read
Blessings
Joy ibjoy 1953@yahoo.com

J-ME said...

I'd never heard of this book and it sounds like a really good one. I am intrigued and really want to know what happened!

luvs2stmp [at] yahoo [dot] com

Katie said...

This book sounds amazing! The hunt for her husband draws me in :) Please enter me!

katiegalyean (at) yahoo (dot) com