Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Love on the Line by Deeanne Gist Book Review



Here's my review:
Love on the Line  by Deeanne Gist is a story that takes place in the early 1900's where outlaws were revered and Texas Rangers were not seen as heroes.  Lucious Landrum, a Texas Ranger, is on the hunt for such an outlaw, Frank Comer.  He best can track him posing undercover as a troubleman (telephone repairman).  But he has to disguise himself and use the name Luke Palmer.  He works closely with Georgie Gail, the switchboard operator, who has an unusual love and fascination for birds.  Things heat up as Luke becomes better acquainted with the townspeople and especially Georgie.  Will Luke be able to capture Frank Comer, yet keep his disguise under wraps?  Will Georgie allow herself to know the true Luke Palmer?

I was absolutely fascinated with the quaint functions of the switchboard in this book.  I was also amazed at the amount of research and intricate details the author included about birds, shooting events, outlaws and Texas Rangers.  She weaved all this into an adventurous story.  I have to say I was not fond of the names of the main characters, but that is trivial.  I also thought there were way too many characters.  I could hardly keep up.  But I really enjoyed the sweet romance.  I was a bit surprised at the fact that two unmarried people worked so closely together in a house for that time period.  However, this book introduced me to a time and place that I would enjoy reading about more.

*This product was provided to me free of charge for purpose of this review. This is my honest opinion of this book and no monetary compensation was received for my opinion.*

11 comments:

Beth said...

I can say that I've never read a book that has anything to do with a switchboard operator, that sounds really cool!

MomRedding said...

Deeanne Gist is a great author! I have loved everything that I have read so far..... sounds like another great book!

rubynreba said...

I knew a lady who worked in a phone company with a switchboard and I remember her telling stories about it. She is no longer living but your review brought back memories of her! I think this would be a very good book.

Merry said...

I've enjoyed several of Deanne Gist's books. A bird loving switchboard operator and an under cover Texas Ranger makes for an interesting couple.

Anita Yancey said...

I don't know much about switchboard operators. But it sounds like a interesting book, and I really like that it is set in Texas.

Lady DragonKeeper said...

I've enjoyed all of the Deanne Gist's books I've read so far and this one sounds great --another unique couple!

Kandra said...

Deeanne Gist's books are always well-received and enjoyable...can't wait to read this one!

Anonymous said...

I love D. Gist books. I would love to win this one. Thanks for the entry. ybutler@oppcatav.com

Anonymous said...

I love historical fiction. This sounds really good. Cant wait to hear what happens with the switchboard.
trishbazin(at)yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I enjoying reading books that take place in the early 1900s. Also I've read a couple of Deanne Gist's books.

sonflower277 at gmail dot com

Kara said...

good review! Deanne Gist knows how to write romance with humor, this one sounds unconventional as well :)
kara
wman4jc@aol.com