Monday, June 13, 2011

Good Morning Girls: Give the Gift of Grace Discussion Questions

The Ministry of Motherhood: Following Christ's Example in Reaching the Hearts of Our Children


1. Read Romans 2:4.  According to this verse, what leads us to repent?  How specifically does God want you to extend his grace to your children so that his kindness through you will lead them to repentance?

I can extend his grace to my kids through kindness in my words and actions. As I model these, I also want to point them to God by referring to him often.

2. Read Mark 14:66-72 and 1 Peter 4:8.  Knowing that Christ gave Peter grace after he failed so miserably, how would he have you extend this kind of grace to your own children?  What would this look like in your daily interactions?

I need to cover mistakes in love and use these as teaching opportunities. My main goal is to develop relationship so I can reach the heart of my children.

3.  The last night Jesus had with his disciples, he called them "little children"  (John 13:33).  Does this tell you anything about his attitude toward these grown men who were his most devoted followers?  Read John 14:1 and see what his continued response was to Peter after he had confronted him with the fact that he would deny Christ.  How does this show the loving grace that Jesus extended to his disciples?  How does he want you to extend it to your children?

I want to be mom that my kids can trust when they are troubled and afraid. I do this by spending time with them and listening to them.

4. The Bible makes it clear that we are to discipline and correct our children when they do wrong.  How do you do this faithfully while still giving them the gift of grace?

I can discipline with grace by being calm, setting boundaries, enforcing boundaries, modeling acceptable behavior, teaching in times of non-conflict and explaining why. This is not easy to do and it is a learning process for for me.

5. Write down what tends to irritate you about each of your children and sometimes keeps you from showing God's gracious love.  Pray for each child he has given into your hands and make a plan for how you will respond more graciously to him or her, especially in that irritating situation.

 

No comments: