Thursday, August 19, 2010

Recipe of the Week: Chocolate Swirl Banana Bread

A few months ago, I found this recipe on my friend Holly's blog.  It looked so good and easy that I thought I would try it.  I substituted some of the sugar for applesauce and brown sugar.

This original recipe came from Our Best Bites.

Chocolate Swirled Banana Bread
2 c. flour
¾ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 c. sugar
¼ c. butter, softened
1 ½ c. mashed ripe bananas (about 3-4 medium bananas)
2 eggs
1/3 c. plain lowfat yogurt or sour cream
½ c. chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cups and level. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Cream sugar and butter. Add bananas, eggs, and yogurt, beating until just blended. Add flour mixture. Beat on low until just moistened. Microwave chocolate chips in a medium bowl for 1 minute. Stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Add 1 c. batter to chocolate, stirring until well-combined. Spoon chocolate batter alternately with plain batter (so you have stripes of plain and chocolate batter) in an 8 ½” x 4 ½” loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Swirl batters with a knife.

Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 15 minutes (give or take a little; I'd probably set your timer for 1 hour and 10 minutes to be safe) or until a knife comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan and then remove and cool completely on a wire rack.

(I hope to be posting more of my recipes on here weekly.  I made a lot of yummy stuff this summer!)


4 comments:

Ava said...

I love this recipe so much lol. I keep waiting to hit the grocery store when they mark down bananas so I can bake a bunch and freeze them.

Tiffanee said...

Yum! Looks delicious! Thanks for a great variation to regular banana bread! Now I need some overripe bananas and quick so I can make some!!

Alison @ Hospitality Haven said...

Any kind of banana bread is great!! :)

Melinda said...

I've never done the swirl in my bread but I always add chocolate chips. You have to have chocolate in banana bread in my opinion :) Off to pin this so I can make it next time!