Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Gratituesday: Locks of Love Donation


Have you ever thought of giving away a part of yourself that can help someone else?  Well, I recently decided to donate my hair to Locks of Love.  I've actually never done this before, but since I started growing my hair out (it's been almost 2 years) I saw an announcement in our church bulletin to donate to Locks of Love.  You see, I met a friend a few years ago who had 4 daughters and one weekend 3 of her daughters were killed in a fatal car accident.  This story touched my heart to the core.  One of the daughters had just recently cut her hair to donate and it was lost in the accident.  My friend shares her story and asks that we help support this organization.  I think of how this little girl gave up her life and how this mom gave up her daughter, but I can give up a little hair to help someone.

The missions of Locks of Love: 
Locks of Love is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children under age 21 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis. We meet a unique need for children by using donated hair to create the highest quality hair prosthetics.

Our mission is to return a sense of self, confidence and normalcy to children suffering from hair loss by utilizing donated ponytails to provide the highest quality hair prosthetics to financially disadvantaged children. The children receive hair prostheses free of charge or on a sliding scale, based on financial need. 
 Before pictures:


After pictures: 

My donation: 10+ inches

I love it!!
What are you thankful for this Gratituesday?  Write about it on your blog, then come link up with us here.  If you don’t have a blog, be sure to leave a comment letting us know what you’re grateful for!
If you are linking up a blog post for Gratituesday,
please copy and paste the following sentence into your post!  Thanks!


Join us for Gratituesday at Heavenly Homemakers!

4 comments:

Annette W. said...

That is very cool!!

When we recently cut my daughter's hair, I was disappointed we only cut five inches or so...not enough to donate.

Kathy said...

Looks great!
Locks of Love is a great organization! My (almost) 12 y/o daughter donated about two years ago and is currently growing it out to donate again.

Joan Hall said...

My niece donated to Locks of Love a couple of years ago. Sounds like a great organization.

Blessings,
Joan

Jennifer said...

Oh, how cute! Your new style is fantastic - and what a great cause!