Monday, February 22, 2010

Recipe of the Week: Black Bean Sweet Potato Soup



Here's my big pot.


Here's where I divide it up for freezing. I freeze these containers, then take out and let thaw slightly. Pop out of container and put in a big freezer bag. On eating day, just take out a block (these are about 3 cups) and let thaw and then heat on the stove.

I had a bit extra so I just made a few servings for Shrade. Easy! Just freeze, then take pan out of freezer, let thaw a little bit, pop out and put in freezer bags. On eating day, just take out and let thaw in the refrigerator. Heat and eat!

This is a recipe I got from Fix It and Enjoy It by Phyllis Pellman Good.

Recipe:
1 T olive oil
1 medium onion chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 medium sized raw sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 T chili powder
1 16oz jar salsa
1 cup water
2 15oz can black beans, drained
sour cream
cilantro

In large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil for 4 min. Stir in sweet potatoes, chili powder, salsa and water. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and cook 12-15 min. or until potatoes are fork tender. Add beans, cook 3 more minutes. Garnish with sour cream and cilantro.

I made a double recipe for this one.

3 comments:

Alison @ Hospitality Haven said...

I love the notion of freezing your son's portions in the muffin tins to make them smaller! Briliant!

Emily said...

I agree with Alison, what a great idea! I'll have to remember that one!

Jennifer Taylor said...

I made this a few weeks ago and froze it so last night was the first time I actually tasted it. Really good for how easy it was.